|THE ADOBE CHURCH OF STA. ANA, MANILA|
The town of Sta. Ana is home to an ancient church that was first erected of wood and bamboo in 1578. A more permanent structure of adobe was built for a period of 5 years, beginning in 1720, in the distinctive baroque style. The centerpiece of the centuries-old church is the magnificent retablo mayor (main altar) which features the patroness, Our Lady of the Abandoned. (Ntra. Sra. De los Desamparados).
The altarpiece sports an elaborate Spanish Baroque architectural style, characterized by ornate sculptural decorations, with elaborate gilded detailing, commonly referred to as “churrigueresque”. The retablo was carved with 13 nichos, flanked with solomonic and baroque columns.
Franciscan santos dominate the lower rung: San Buenaventura, St. Pedro de Alcantara, San Bernardino de Siena and Santa Clara de Asis. A tabernacle (sagrario) is in the center.
The principal level has the patroness, Our Lady of the Abandoned, in the middle. She is shown alongside several founders of Catholic religious orders, Santo Domingo and San Francis de Asis, and San Juan Bautista and San Juan Evangelista.
Topmost, we have the santo figures of Santa Ana, the patroness of the church, with San Pedro and San Pablo at her side. The retablo is topped with the image of San Miguel Arcangel and painted oval medallion portraits of San Didacus and San Pascual Baylon.
PHOTOS (ca. 1994) COURTESY OF: Dr. Raymond Feliciano,